On behalf of future generations, H Contract, a Hooker Furniture Company, is committed to environmental stewardship through sustainable business practices that help preserve the earth’s beauty and resources. Sound environmental practices are the foundation of H Contract’s manufacturing process. Our products are made of renewable and/or recyclable materials, and they are built to last. We find innovative ways to build our products in a sustainable manner.
With over 300,000 square feet of state-of-the-art technology and hand craftsmanship, our craftsmen and women include upholsterers, sewers, inspectors, button makers and finishers. Others manage high-tech machinery and computers for operations such as routing, scheduling and cutting intricate fabric patterns. We are also passionate about environmental stewardship and an ethical work environment.
Approximately 800 employees of Hooker Furniture have worked together to implement a corporate-wide environmental program across 11 different facilities. The accomplishments at each facility were audited by the American Home Furnishings Alliance, which then granted the company EFEC registration. EFEC – “Enhancing Furniture’s Environmental Culture” – is a voluntary environmental management program created by AHFA for furniture manufacturers.
Hooker’s EFEC-registered facilities include four manufacturing plants, a distribution center and the offices of Cherryville, NC; one manufacturing plant/office for Bedford, VA; and the corporate office, central distribution center, secondary distribution center and customer support center for Martinsville, VA – based Hooker Furniture.
Our Environmental Goals
- Reduction of air and greenhouse gas emissions
- Utilization of alternate fuels for a cleaner environment
- Conservation of natural resources by saving energy, reducing water consumption, recycling and using recycled materials
- Utilization of services and expertise around the world to assist in the development of solutions to environmental problems
- Participation in community events to enable our communities to learn and work toward a cleaner/healthier place to live
- Meeting or exceeding government requirements for environmental programs by working closely with governmental agencies to ensure a healthier earth
- Development and measurement of compliance programs to ensure all environmental regulations are being followed